Birthdays after birth: Why my special day isn't about me anymore.

Happy Birthday to me!  I'm officially 30 and life is good!  This time last year, one of the most amazing things happened in my life!  My husband, Patrick and I felt our sweet Steele aka "BBR" ("Blessed Baby Reed") move for the very first time!  What an amazing birthday gift that was, indeed! [ Read more about that special moment here: http://blessedbabyreed.blogspot.com/2014/03/week-19-bbr-bump-updates-my-birthday.html ]

This year, as my birthday approached, I informed my husband that I did not want him to do anything over-the-top or elaborate to celebrate.  Of course, that suggestion fell flat!  My sweet husband surprised me with a trip to the hair salon for a new cut and style, followed by a dinner date at Red Robin (yummm!)  The next day, we celebrated with cupcakes and ice cream at our home with our immediate family members.  The following day, Patrick gathered our family and treated me to brunch at one of the best brunch spots in Atlanta, Ray's On The River!

Indeed, he surprised me, celebrated me, and made me feel special!  But one of the most important things I realized this year is that birthdays after birth are totally different -- they aren't simply about me anymore!  And you know what...it's perfectly okay!  Here's what I mean:

1.)  I'm thankful for each daily "birthday."  As a believer, I thank God each and every day that He blesses me with the opportunity to rise and enjoy this gift of life that He has granted!  Therefore, I make an effort to celebrate the joys, highlights, and successes of each day.  Grant it, sometimes that's simply making sure everyone is clean, clothed, and fed, but hey, it's a success!

2.) "Doing nothing" is the new "doing something!" Nothing is sweeter than lying around with my husband and child!  In my younger days, 'doing something' meant putting effort towards getting dressed up and going out to an event or a restaurant.  Nowadays, I get such joy from playing on the floor with Steele, catching up on weekly shows or movies with P, or simply sitting in the backyard watching the clouds!  These moments are when time seems to stand still.

3.) Love is the greatest gift that I can ever give and receive.  Simply put, love without limits each day as if it is your last.  With each passing year, this phrase resounds louder and louder.  Cherish the everlasting love of our amazing God, the deep love from your spouse, the sweet love from your child/children, and the self-love that exudes from within!

My sweet lil' family after brunch at Ray's on the River!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts