Cloth diapers and reality...will they work for us?

{April 14, 2014} I call myself an "avid realistic Planeteer!"  I recycle, use reusable bags, drive an ultra low-emission vehicle, unplug unused electronics, turn out lights in unattended rooms, conserve water while showering/brushing teeth, follow global initiatives, and participate in the ultimate recycling thrill...thrifting!  Pretty realistic, right?  Well, maybe a bit more than the average person! ;o) #goplanet

I had the biggest crush on Captain Planet! *swoon*
You couldn't tell me I wasn't a Planeteer!
Anywho, we've all seen the prehistoric images of cloth diapers.  The basic white cloth with two large safety pins holding the diaper to the baby.  Like many of you, this has been my mental image of cloth diapers for years!  Comfy, right?!


Now, I've officially been brought up to speed with the latest innovation in cloth diapers -- Bumgenius cloth diapers!  I became aware of the Bumgenius (aka Bumgee) brand while attending a one-year-old girl's birthday party.  The mother of the child had a friend visit from Charleston and I noticed the diaper that her child was wearing.  It was bright and caught my eye quickly!  The mother began to rave about this Bumgenius brand and how she has used the same 12 diapers since her daughter was born!  

Eureka! That's when it hit me!

What a HUGE budget-saver!  Over the years, I've bought my fair share of diapers for diaper cakes, weekend babysitting, gifts, etc (Auntie of 6!), so I KNOW how expensive those disposable little things can be!  Her testimony revealed that cloth diapers aren't just another archaic symbol of all things baby (like its counterpart, the stork!)  The cloth diaper industry has revolutionized how parents train their children...and to start, planting a seed to become a protector of our planet!

I'm pretty much 95% sold on the fact that we will use a type of cloth diaper for #BBR.  After researching the market, I've found that there are two power players in the cloth diaper business:  Bumgenius and GDiapers. 

  
#Bumgenius vs. #GDiapers
www.bumgenius.com
www.gdiapers.com

At this time, I am leaning most towards the Bumgenius diaper due to the rave review by the mother I mentioned earlier and having checked them out in person while visiting Buy Buy Baby.  They are about $14-19 per diaper and adjust to your baby's size, from newborn through their first year! (*how cool!)

Couldn't resist taking a pic with the Buy Buy Baby Expectant Mother sign!
So, do you or parents you know use cloth diapers?  I'd LOVE to hear real consumers talk about how cloth diapers worked for them and their babies!  

Thank y'all for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts